Monday, August 6, 2012

Dealing with Back Pain During Pregnancy

First I have to disclose that I am not a Doctor and that all information below is based on personal experience. Always consult your Doctor before making any major changes to your daily routine.

I think that back pain is something that every women is going to experience at some point of her pregnancy. I know for me back pain was another reason for me not to have children. After being in two major car accidents I found that I had a "narrow spinal column". In other words, where most people's spinal cords would have room to swell from a traumatic injury I had none. This also affected the outlets of my spinal cord. 
When I became pregnant my #1 concern was how I was going to deal with the increased pressure on my spine. I think the fact that I spent many years prior to pregnancy building a stronger core  played a huge role in curbing the pain. However, I still had a lot of pain to deal with, especially in the last 2 months. In my final month the only place I could sleep semi pain free was the couch. So if you are suffering from back pain just know it is normal and your not alone.
In the beginning my pain was limited to the right side of my lower back. For that I found leaning to the left gave me the most relief. It was explained to me by my doctor as "opening up the nerve outlets more" thus relieving the pressure on them. At night I found that if I placed a thin pillow under my belly and one between my legs also helped relieve the pressure on my back. I also wore crocks and rested when I started to feel the pain taking over. If you decide to do any of this RESTING is probably one of the most important. It is easier to control your pain when it's mild then waiting until it's unbearable and out of control. 
As the pain increased with my belly growing larger I did end up resorting to taking Tylenol on a regular bases to help reduce the swelling. I also preferred heat over ice, but used together they can provide pain relief. Another key factor in dealing with the pain was reducing stress. It is well known that when we stress we tense our muscle and that indirectly will increase the pain. So take a nice warm bath with the lights out and some candles lit! Works like a charm!

Things you should always look out for or avoid when it comes to back pain during your pregnancy.
  • Climbing or reaching for things that shift your body weight in a unnatural position
  • Taking any medications other then Tylenol unless advised by your doctor
  • Hot tubs ( while then seem like a source of relief they can cause serious complications)
  • Massages ( should only be done by persons with prenatal massage training)
Those are just a few things off the top of my head. If I think of more I will add them.

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment